The treatment of fetal alcohol syndrome - The dangers of alcohol during pregnancy


The second received a positive pregnancy test, I swore alcohol. Not only alcohol can cause birth defects, but can also cause miscarriage. He swore alcohol for nine months was not a big deal for me. I'm not a big drinker and I tend to drink in social situations and even then not much. But what about women who can not stop drinking for nine months?
If you are one of those women who put your baby at risk for fetal alcohol syndrome. The defects are caused by FAS can not be reversed and cause physical, mental and severe behavioral. Note, is generally not a single birth defect, but rather problems that are related. Every child born with FAS suffer from various disorders, but some signs of FAS include:

Small eyes, a thin upper lip and smooth surface of the skin between the nose and upper lip
Some heart defects
Deformities of joints and limbs
The slow growth in the womb and after birth
Mental retardation and developmental delay
We know that drinking during pregnancy can cause fetal alcohol syndrome, but the amount you drink? My doctor told my wife during her second pregnancy, a glass of wine here and there will not be me or the baby badly. Common sense should tell you that the more you drink during pregnancy, the greater the risk. Alcohol enters the bloodstream and does not cross the placenta to your baby. The alcohol concentration is higher in your baby what you are and what can inhibit the development of your baby's tissues. There is a high risk in the first quarter, the alcohol can then cause problems to hear your baby, bones, nervous system and facial features. I remember the panic in my first pregnancy because I had a couple of drinks a week before I found out I was pregnant. I cried to my doctors office and admitted he had been drinking and I was sure that even if no one knows for sure how much alcohol you have to drink to harm the chances were slim that I had done something to my baby. I was told not to drink more and everything should be fine.

Another risk with fetal alcohol syndrome is the baby is almost addicted to alcohol. In other words, the baby has become an alcoholic. Fortunately, but it can be treated with specific drugs have been designed to treat withdrawal symptoms in babies. There is no treatment for the opinion of birth defects and life behind although some heart defects could be corrected by surgery.

So while your doctor can tell you it's normal to have a drink here or there, ask yourself if you are able to go for a drink here and there. If the answer is no, it is best to stay away completely. It's just not you who's drinking; your baby too.


Did you know that fetal alcohol syndrome affects child birth?